Hey everyone!
One of the great things about e-mail and blogs and texts are that it's often easier to discuss difficult topics through writing. Somehow the distance helps us get more personal.
For this blog assignment, I want you to TALK TO EACH OTHER through the blog. There are a couple of ways to do this:
1. If you are subscribed to the blog, you can write your own post. Please do so with a question: It can be about the class, writing for the class, or something we've read. Ask anything relevant to our class and you'll be doing great!
2. Respond to this post or to the post of one of your classmates. Do this by clicking on the comments section. Be sure I know who you are so you get credit! When you respond, please thoughtfully ask or answer questions... what are you and your classmates concerned about? What are some things you think about regarding the writing or reading that you'd like clarification with?
3. POST TWO TIMES.... You will need one initial post or comment and then a response to someone else's post or comment for full credit with this assignment.
4. PLEASE STAY POSITIVE. This doesn't mean you cannot discuss concerns -- I WANT you to do that. I just want you to discuss these in a proactive (solve the problem) way rather than a whiny way.
5. THANK YOU FOR PARTICIPATING. YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!
ps. Please email me if you are struggling. You are also welcome to come and see me before or after school. I'm usually here until about 3:30 p.m.. Check out the class calendar if you've missed something and go the assignments link if you need another copy of any handouts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
72 comments:
My question is what is the purpose of the socratic circles? I think they are productive when you comment. I am not completely comfortable with them but I am glad that we have the opportunity to express our views on certain stories that we have read in class. I also think that they are there for us to help others understand things in the story that mabye they had a question on. What do you think?
i agree with hbunk92. i like the socratic circle becuase the class has an opportunity to share thier opinions. i also think that it helps all the students understand the material better. Doing the socratic circle with these types of articles helps the students understand the american dream. I think this also allows the students to get to know each other and feel more comfortable as a class.
I think that the socratic circles are only good when people participate. If nobody is commenting when someone asks a question then I don't think that they are very productive. I think that more people will ask questions and comment more later in the year because we will know each other better.
-Derrick Von Gunten
I will also agree that they can be productive and depending on the story we are reading it can actually be fun. My other view on the socratic circles are that they do make me feel uncomfortable and sometimes you look stupid when everyone takes your questions and you have to hurry and make one up on the spot. I dont mean to be negative but i just wanted to get my opinion out. All together i hope I will start to get a better experiance about it, after all I have only done one socratic circle. :-)
Jason Powell
Period 4
September 19th 2008
I agree with hbunk92. Because some times it get a little un comfortable but I think it helps us with gettin our ideas out there and expressed to the whole class!! Its hard some times when people don't participate though!
My question is why don't we have more time in class to read our books,i just no time at home to!!
~Shelbie Humphreys~
Why don't we get more time in class to read our books? I think everyone would get more reading done if we had some time to read in class.
-ALEX SCHAAF
I don't think she gives us time to read in class because we're supposed to have responsible to get it done while we're at home although not everyone has the time to read.
Why do we have to fill out a grid while reading our book?
Emily Murray
Well you see silly people
you dont always get class time to do things. its called resposibility and priorities. set a time to sit down and read rather then go our with your friends. its not a matter of having time its a matter of making time :)
- Shantelle Vu
my question:
when doing our socratic circles i think that everyone should be obligated to make some form of input no matter what. its an open discussion and if you are not getting involved its hard for people to get to know you and to understand the story in an aspect that everyone else is you must participate :) so can we make it so the class is more involved?
and if anyone knows how to do the analysis paper can you help me? i dont get it.
The anaylsis paper is easy all you have to do choose a story from something that we have read and re read it. Then you look for the theme of that story and writing characteristics. Then you write your paper and at the end of it compare it to real life or another story. so like in the first paragraph talk about the story you read, then talk how it relates to the theme in the next paragraph, then in the third talk about your impressiopn of the author's purpose and in your final paragraph tell how it relates to real life or the other story you chose. I hope that helps!
Even though I dont like the book grids, I think makes us do them so we can understand our book better and help us on the test.
Why do we have to do the analysis papers?
i agree with hbunk92, the only point i see in doing these socratic circles is to answer any questions that you might have had during the story. Other than that i really see no point.
Zach Brannon
Period 4
My question: when we do the sacratic circles why does only half the class get to participate at once? I mean wouldn't we get more out of the circles if everyone got to put their input out there?
-Kandace Stapley
To answer hbunk92 I think the socratic circles are to help us understand the stories better and see the perspective of our peers. :)
-Kandace Stapley
To answer Emily Murray's question, I think Ms. Thompson has us fill out a grid while reading our book because it helps us understand the story line of our book better, (at least for me anyway), also because it will help us remember certain parts about our book when we take the in class essay test.
My question is why do we have to do these blogs?
Krysta Church
nxci like the surcratic circles. i think it is fun to hear what other people thought of the stories. i think that when people come unprepaed they dont make it as fun. but they are more fun when we come up with good questions. beacuse it makes it fun for everyone and they go longer with more thought. my english teacher didnt do this last year. i wish we would have beacuse then eveyone could give there own opinin on the stories.
brandi leith
Emily
i think that the reason we do book grids is so when it comes time to write the essay on our books we can remember cirtin parts in the book we might have forgotten about. they really help me because i always foret some parts in books and it helps me remember them better.
In reply to hbunk92's comment/question, I think that the socratic circles are meant to help us each understand our peers' point of veiw on different subjects. I also think that it is meant to help us realize our differences and similarities with each classmate. We are all different, as you know, and we each deserve to be respected for our thoughts on the subjects provided. However, I am not saying you have to agree with those thoughts, or opinions. You have your own way of seeing things, and I have mine. Also, as I said in my other comment, if we were all the same, the world would be pretty boring, in my opinion. I also agree with kennedi's comment, that these socratic circles will help us feel more comfortable in our class. You can't be afraid of what people may think of your ideas and beliefs; that won't get you anywhere in life. My question is, Why can't we all get it through our heads that some people are different for a reason? We shouldn't tease, or make fun of someone for being who they are. Doing so, will only make them think that their thoughts and opinions don't matter; but, they do.
Krysta Church,
I think we do these blog comments, again, to understand our classmate's opinions on the different subjects. It's good to know other's veiws because that is what we are going to have to face each day, for the rest of our lives. There isn't really any ignoring that fact, unless you plan on being away from people the rest of your life. If you really think about it, how would we learn to develop our own opinions without others' that have an opposing veiw to our own? That is my question for you; or anyone who would like to respond.
Sorry you guys, those ones were kinda long, too. haha.
-erin =)
My question is why do we have to do the short story analysis ??
Laticia Romero
I think the socratic circles are a good idea. It not only helps us understand the short stories better, but it also helps us be more social with each other and get to know one another.
Although I think more people should participate and shouldn't be scared of what other people think. There never is a stupid question or answer.. we are all still learning.
About the books and having time to read I agree with shelbie. I think we need more time to read in class.
Not every one can make time to read some of us have jobs and family things we need to do. I think the book grid helps a lot and will make the essay we will have to do much easier. Thanks everyone
Laticia Romero
I think hbunk92 is right about Socratic Circles. When people add to the discussion it is productive. If we could find a way to make it so people were more willing to participate it would be much better. Right now my class pretty much just sits in a desk and does nothing while they are in the circle.
I agree that we should get more time to read in class if possible. It is hard to find time to sit down and read for a long time i hate reading for 5 min and getting a tiny bit done. I can't find time to read for an hour or so because of other classes, sports, and family.
I think the short story anaylsis is given to us so we can not only learn how to write them but to compare certain things and find similarities in the stories we read in class. I think it hepls you give your opinion on the stories we read in class.
I agree with hbunk92 about the short story analysis. I think that we can also learn how to edit papers by doing them. So that way when we are in college we can learn to catch most of our mistakes in our papers. My question is, in the socratic circles if you are in the outside circle why are we not allowed to give our input?
I agree with hbunk92. Socratic circles get us more involved in the story or poem. They teach us how to ask questions and how to find answers. Socratic circles let us listen and talk about each others point of views and ideas. I like that we have the opportunity to share with our peers. We also understand the stories better. Thats what I think
Refering to Emily's question, "Why do we have to fill out book grids?"
Well filling out book grids shows the teacher we've been comprehending our book. It helps us learn how to ask questions. Plus we have to write an essay at the end of the quarter, it'll be nice to have information laid out for us. It'll help us write about it. :)
Why are we reading non-fiction books??
I believe if we can relate the socratic circles to ourselves and our daily problems or situations, it will be easier to become more in depth and personal in the conversations. I agree with hbunk92 when they say I am glad that we have the opportunity to express our views on particular stories. It's a lot easier to comment when everyone is somewhat involved.
Why are we focusing so much on the American dream?
Yeah i agree with hbunk29 cuz the purpose of the socratic circle is to listen our classmates on what they have to say buecause it helps others to understand on the story poem or what we're reading if they have any questions they have and it will help others to feel comfortable talk to the whole class
why are we talkin in class on the American Dream
I don't have problem talking about the American dream, but I think it's to much history, why don't we just read books that were like about the holocaust but fiction get it? Why too much history?
- Gerardo Flores
I also agree with the circle, it's great way for teacher to know us and for other students too, it let's us know how the others think. This is a good idea but also could be bad because as we learn more about someone we find we don't like them that much, and finally I think we all sound smarter when we type on the computer then talking, more sophisticated. haha seriously
-Gerardo Flores
this class is too much for me! i can hardly keep up with everything.we just get way too much in one day and then its due the next time i dont think she gets that we have a lot more classes to focus on also. my question is why cant we turn in things with a late pass then next time we have that class instead of the next day when we dont even have that class?
carinne coesens pd 5
i agree with kennedi. the socratic circle does help us understand the stories better. also it helps us feel more comfortable with the people in class we dont really know.
people just need to talk more though rather than just always passing.
carinne coesens
pd 5
I actually really like the circles. I like to here others oppinons and thoughts on things. It makes you rethink things. I agree with Erin why can't we just face it we are all different and nothing is going to change that? I think though why people make fun of people is because they are inscure about them selfs. So they think by putting others down they can bring themselves up.
My question is why do we really have to do the blogs? What do we learn?
To answer Kandace Stapley's question, i think that half of the people don't participate in the socratic circles because they probably feel that the circles don't do anything to help their knowledge. or they might be too shy to say something.
My question is what do we learn from doing these blogs?
My response it to the question from hbunk92, asking what is the purpose of the socratic circles? I also agree. I think we have them to talk about what we read and so everybody can understand the consept of what we read and get everybodys comment on it. I like the socratic circles, they help the whole class understand what the storys are all about.
Do you like the socratic circles?
I also agree with hbunk92 about the socratic circles.I think that it gives the whole class a time to talk to eachother about the storys that we have read, and to get the chance to understand what they where really about.Like if they didn't fully understand somthing all the way.I like the circles alot they also give us a chance to understand eachothers thoughts about them.
i like the circle you can talk without getting in trouble
i do not learn anything by doing a blog
i agree with hbunk2 with the socratic circles i like them it gives a chance to say what we want about the subject and discuss what other people think about the subject
my question is do you guys like doing these blogs?
kaylee bowles per 7
The assembly wads great bucause of how great she was was what soe had to say to the world. i think our school system is good because when im at school i always feel safe. by doing this they do lock downs and drills to keep us safe.
I think they have made many changes to schools since that day. Some of wich are more security and better drills in case of something like that happening. It has been talked about by many people and they have many insuring drills that could save many people.
Charles Cordova
Pr. 7th
I think that there is a chance that this could happen again. But the chances of that are very very low. The reason for this is because schools have better security systems. They make sure they know eberything that is going on in the school.
Zach zdunich
Per-7
I am replying to HBUNK92. I think the purpose of the Socratic circle is that we relize how to talk about what we have read and analyze what we have learned about.
How can everyone in the class help our socratic circles to have more discussion? I try to make two comments and ask my question, but how can we get everyone to be more involed? I think if more people are in on the discussion, then everyone will feel more comfortable.
-Christian Bloomquist
My question is that what do the analize papers that we have to write all the time why do we do them? Also another question is that why do we have the book grides?
by Shadyn VanDeBrake Period 5th
I think the socratic circles can be pointless when two people talk the whole time and not the whole class.
Ashley Burnett 6th
I think the blog is set in place for us to express our opinions and ask questions like we are doing right now. I think they are fun. I don't think its as much as a learning thing as it is to just give us a way to express ourselves without feeling stupid or dumb. No one's opinion is stupid and this is a way to let our opinion be known and not feel embarrassed about it.Everyone thinks and looks at things a different way there is nothing wrong with that.
why do we only get like two days to do the book grids? Id rather Just read without one.
Ashley Burnett 6th
I think the book grids are just to help us get more out of the book. Its about making connections, find conflicts and other things. To answer Kandace's question about the circles I think Ms. Thompson only has half the class do them so that everyone is not talking over everyone else and she wants us to observe so we know how to do it. I also think it makes it easier for her to bein the discussion as well.
Why are we talking about the American dream so much? But it is kinda cool and humbling to see everyones own personal view of the American dream.
To answer Emily Murrays question on why we do book grids while we read is to help us understand our books more. We get more out of it if we put our thoughts on paper.
I agree with hbunk92 but i also think that they help find a deeper meaning in what we are reading. Also it helps everyone to become comfortable with their surroundings and with the people around them.
My question is why do we do it with the same group every time? We should switch it up.
My question, why do we have to take Language Arts til we are done with high school? When we took it all through elementary and junior high we should have the rest of high school without taking Language Arts and English. And I agree with some people that why do we have those blogs and socratic circle a lot when we could just read the same book and do a Quiz after each chapter and then do a test after we are done with the book.
- Emily Talbot pd7
In my opinion, the book grids really dont help us read our books because we realize they are due so everyone reads extremely fast and does not get everything they can out of their book. Reading should be more fun than forced
-Christian Bloomquist
If you guys get what I mean.We talk about the book on each few chapters and do a quiz on the chapters that we went over.
-Emily Talbot
how do you cite an anthology?! i left my notes at school! plz help me :(
The socratic circles help us learn about each others views of the stories we read in class. I do agree with hbunk92. The reasons why we make the circles is so we can understand each other and help those who dont understand what they are reading. I have had some hard times when trying to write questions about the stories. One story is tougher then the other but it keeps us thinking and brainstorming. Listening to each other really helps you understand the concepts and main reasons of the stories. The socratic circles are a learning point in our language class. People have different ideas and point of views. The circles help us get along with each other. You get to know every body in your class. Also peoples point of views can teach us something that we probably didnt know before. The purpose for the socratic circles is to know how to talk to people and listen to what they saw. What the class says can help understand what they are reading. Circles also makes us feel comfortable to talk as a class and not feel nervous to answer some ones question. Oh yeah and one more thing it helps us particapate as a class and work together as a class.
i think this ones really long oops sorry people.
Monique Wallace
7th Period
September 24, 2008
I dont understand why we are reading the American Dreams. I understand that things didnt go as well as things do today. But it doesnt make sense why our people hated the blacks. We are all the same and people shouldnt be judged by the way they look, talk, and dress. When reading the stories i understood what they all went through. Every story in the book makes sense but why do we have to read them? Every story was different from the other but they all told about the peoples difficult lifes. Are the American Dreams trying to tell us something that we didnt know before? I know that each story has its own meaning. Is there something in the stories that relate to us right now something that we are going through thats making our lifes difficult? Are the stories trying to tell us that that things have changed for the better or for the worse? Do you guys understand what im talking about. Are our lifes right now like the ones back then? What is the reason for us reading about the lifes and dreams of people we didnt even know about? Are we trying to figure out how Amerca came to be through the people lifes we read? Every story is about the black people i understand that they had the worst life that no body would want to go through. Butit doesnt make sesne shy we made their lifes so hard when they are alreeady are. Do we read the dreams to know that we all live together as one and not two seperate groups like back then? Why do we want to know about the American dreams? Why? I learned from the stories that people did try to make a difference but when trying to make it clear to others people just disagreed they didnt care about those who wanted to change just because who they who they were. Hopefully this makes sense to you guys. What do you people think.
Monique Wallace
7th Period
September 24, 2008
i realy think that this blogging thing is dumb to be honest with you but i am not going to lie it probably does have its benefits but the circle thing we do in class its weird and what is up with all of the essays one after another i am having problems keeping up so yea garbage i know
i think the purpose of the socratic circles is to make us all feel comfortable to share with the class
I think socratic circles are awesome they are a lot of fun and i love hearing what other people have to say. I also think Ms. Thompson is doing a great job, I'm learning a lot in her class.
Kristian Kaae
Period 7th
I agree with Kristian.
They are a lot of fun.
I love hearing what people have to say and their opinions. It's way interesting.
Post a Comment