Friday, September 19, 2008

Reachels Challenge

What do you think the school system has done to ensure that something like Columbine will never happen again?

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think after the whole Columbine shooting, it gave a message out to everyone that we should treat people the way that we would like to be treated. I think that the schools have actually started paying atention to those students who might not be the most popular or have the right clothes. They are more aware of what needs to be done so that we dont repeat history. Now at our school we have the Rachels Challenge Club to make sure that doesnt happen.

Erin (.^_^.) said...

I agree with grace. I don't know if all of you know what it feels like to feel all alone in this world, without any friends, but I think many of you do know that feeling. I LOVE this idea for the Rachels Challenge and Friends of Rachel Club. I think it is very important in the human culture, no matter where you live, or what ethnicity you are, to have a feeling of acceptance. People need to know that they are loved, cared about, or even just thought of, in good ways. If you look deep enough, in every person, there is that need. Even if it is just a faint spark of hope behind their eyes. We should all be kind to people, no matter who they are. I know sometimes it's hard to reach out to people because your afraid your friends may make fun of you. But think of how the people you help, or will have the chance to help, feel. Take that into consideration. No one should feel like an island; distant from everyone else. Especially when there is a beauty inside of them that just needs one friend, one true friend, to light the spark, to start "a chain reaction". Everyone is needed. Everyone is loved. No one should be left behind.

Erin (.^_^.) said...

And if we all work together, no one will.

Erin (.^_^.) said...

One question though, who is Zane?

Erin (.^_^.) said...

Oh, haha. nevermind.

Anonymous said...

I agree with both grace and erin. I love the idea of the Rachels Challenge club. I really hope people will do it and get into it.
It helps others and helps you gain more friends. I have known people who have felt alone and hated others for there pain. I love helping people and I hope no one feels that way ... Just to let you all know even if you and I are not friends or don't get along if you ever feel alone or just need to talk I'm here for you and to listen and I won't judge you.
Love you all!!

Laticia Romero

Anonymous said...

I think the school has learned from the Columbine shooting. They know what precautions to take. Being aware is very important. Our school has spread awarness about being kind to others. I think this has had a great effect on our students. Rachels Challenge is so great, and so is Friends of Rachel. This gets kids involved in our community and teachs them how to respect each other. Rachels Challenge has made a difference in my life. I watch out for prejudice thoughts and rude words and always try to be kind. I think if we keep Rachel's Challenge alive, our school will have a better atmosphere. We will all be stronger.

Anonymous said...

I agree the Columbine shooting has made us more aware of our surrondings. When you see people sitting by themselves or having a bad day. I think we are more aware of that now, because of the Columbine shooting and Rachels' Challenge assembly. We are more willing to reach out to others we do not really know as a school and as a community. This is great idea to start a chain reaction.
Jocelynn

Vidal Photography said...

i think that we are more aware of our surroundings, like trying to include everyone by eliminating predjudice and being kind to everyone around us. At our school we have the Friends of Rachel's group which help when new kids come to our school so that they don't feel left out. They help our communities by like doing food drives and fundraisers. We write letters to people that we don't usually appreciate that do stuff for us, etc. But in order to start the chain reaction that Rachel wants we must have everyone involved.

Anonymous said...

Well i think after Columbine it made our schools more aware of the fact that these shootings could happen to any school. I think even before columbine we should've had a progam that made sure no kid was left out or bullied. And if we did do you think the Columbine shooting still would have acurred?
Right now our school are informing us on how we should treat other student so stuff like this doesnt happen.

Anonymous said...

the columbine shooting has made us aware of our surroundings. when you see people sitting by themselves or having a bad day. we are more aware of that now, because of the shooting and assembly. we are more willing to reach out to others we do not know.

Anonymous said...

i wasnt here for this assembly so i dont know anything about it

Dilan Foutz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dilan Foutz said...

Erin quadruple posted! tsk tsk :(

I think what most schools have done is made stricter consequences for bullying and bringing weapons to school, but it's really the students behavior towards others that has the main impact

Anonymous said...

The Columbine shooting was a horrible thing that hapened about 8years ago. The schools have been changed since then because they dont even joke about guns,knifes, or anything at school. They've become more involved with things like Rachels Challenge.

Ashley Burnett 6th Period

Alexandrya Tonge said...

I think that after the shooting, everyone began to take a look around and see what is really going on around them. I think now people are more prone to speak up when they see something is going on. I also think that because of all the speeches being made around the nation for her cause, more people will hear about it, and there is going to be huge changes in schools.

Scott said...

Seeing how these tragedies affect others, it makes us not want to put that on other people. It may not affect everyone the same way. But it really does affect them one way or another; either if it be a negative or a positive impact. But, me personally, it scares me a little that there are people out there, and that makes me want to watch out for my friends and family even more. They are what matter most to me in my life. I don't know what I would do without them!
-Scott

Anonymous said...

I think that the columbine shooting has made us all aware of everything around us and that we need to eliminate prejudice. The columbune shooting has changed schools everywhere. Schools are paying more attention to its students and are making sure that nothing like this happens again.

Erin (.^_^.) said...

Dilan-
What's so bad about that? lol