First, I appologize for getting this posted a day late. Because of that, those of you in fourth period will receive the weekend to complete the assignment.; it will be due for everyone on Monday by 7:30 p.m.
Your posting assignment:
- Please think about what we read in class from "A Raisin in the Sun." Focus on what you've learned about the characters and the famil dynamic (how the family interacts and works together).
- You need to write TWICE to the blog. You may either post and comment or comment twice.
- Ask each other questions about the characters and their motivations, goals, and interactions. Use examples from the story to support your answers.
Next -- I really appreciate the way you've talked with each other in this blog; I think it is wonderful that you are answering each others' questions and engaging in a writing conversation. I'd like to address some of your concerns as well so you know I'm paying attention and to help you understand why we do what we do.
1. Why do we do Socratic circles?
Most of you answered this question very well. We do the Socratic circles because they help you think about what you've read in a different way. They help clarify questions and value what other people think and believe. They encourage more people to participate. We have half the class at a time do it because it allows for a more free conversation and it also allows observers to analyze conversation and what works and what doesn't. I think that if we forced students to participate, it wouldn't feel as comfortable. As the year goes on, the circles become more and more successful because you learn to trust each other more. This is to help you learn to communicate and analyze.
2. Why do we do this blog?
We do the blog because online communication is becoming more and more important in our world. This is a chance for all of you to communicate with each other in a different medium (that's a form of expression) than any other way offered through the class. In many ways, blogs are the safest way to communicate because you are behind a computer and less afraid of what you want to ask or to comment. If you read through the comments everyone has made, I hope you see that already you are really helping each other out. As you answer each others' questions in writing, you help understand yourself. All of this helps you to communicate and analyze -- and to think.
3. Why do we study the American Dream?
Your junior year of Language Arts is supposed to be a study of American literature. I have tried several approaches to studying American literature and this is the most successful way so far. I think that starting the year with a concentration on the American dream helps us think about why things are written and what goal people might have when they write. It also starts the year with a focus on YOUR goals and dreams -- what you want out of life. The more you think about what you want, the more likely you are to achieve it. When you see that you are not alone and that there are many different ways to have and obtain your goals, you are more confident in your ability to reach your dreams.
4. Why do we do book grids?
We do book grids because they are a quick way to think about your book without having to write tons of essays about it. Thinking about the different elements of your book helps you appreciate your author. It also helps you to become a better, faster, more analytical reader. As you become a better reader, you become a better writer. This assignment helps you to analyze and think more deeply about things.
5. Why don't we have more time in class to read?
Do you realize I have only 20 or 21 class days with you each quarter? That's about 80 days of language arts each year. That's less than 1/4 of your days in a year and you come to my class for less than 90 minutes. It's just not very much time. When you come to me, I think of all the ways I can use the class time that will be the most valuable for your learning. There are so many ways to communicate and it is important for you to be comfortable in them. So, each day is broken up to activities that are designed to make your communiation skills better. I hope to give the right balance of instruction and practice throughout the class. Also, I've learned that unless I limit independent reading time to around 10 or 15 minutes, students waste the time I give them. We have so little time, I cannot afford to let you waste any of it.
Finally -- yes, I DO know that you have lives outside of school. You have jobs and families and friends. So do I. You also have seven other classes. I am aware of this. BUT if you are good at communicating, analyzing and thinking, you will be better at all of those other parts of your life. Whatever else is going on in your life right now, school should be your most important job. I require homework every day because all kinds of people have researched homework and they learned that students are more prepared for the world when they have (and do!) their homework. I require homework because if you do it, my teaching time with you is more productive and effective. I know this class is a lot of work; that is why I am willing to work with you when you come and talk to me. I promise you, though, that I don't have a single assignment that I haven't thought about a lot and determined that it's really going to help you become better. We are all busy people -- and it just gets busier as you move on; this experience of balancing the things you have to do now is preparing you for a life of productivity. You can do it if you get your priorities striaght and ask for help when needed.
Please e-mail me with any questions or concerns. You are also welcome to come by my classroom any time. Go to powerschool or the class calendar and make sure you are caught up. You can go to the assignments page if you need copies of any handouts.
Have fun posting!
Ms. Thompson
56 comments:
The family doesn't really get along much and they argue and fight a lot. The husband/brother/sun is kind of a downer and is rude to everyone. The wife just lets it go right past her when he says something. I really like the sister. She's funny and gives her brother back what he gives to everyone else. She is my favorite.
In this story is werid because everyone in the family are always makeing fun of each other and in get in fights, but at the same time there is this kinda strong respect and love for each other. Why do you think its like that.
Ya i agree with "shelbe" the family has a lot of differences and fights a lot. Travis is the worst though he is the one that always starts it i think.
I think the family has issues in life(like most do)but they each want something different that what they have. I think they do love eachother but when your living in the conditions they are its hard to be nice all the time. I like the sister too. She has a mind of her own and she is not afraid to speak it. They are just a family dealing with hard things right now. How many of you have been in a situation like this one? I have not this bad. (you don't have to answer that question) I am excited to find out what happens!
Why is Walter so disrespectful to his wife all the time? She tries to be supportive but he is just rude to her.
The family has a lot of difficulties in their home. There is so many people in such a small place. They are always arguing but never working any of it out. Why can't Walter be more respectful and listen to other people because then people would listen to him?
There family doesnt really get along and they argue about many things. At the same time they are strong people and are just trying to support their family as good as they can.
In Rasin in the sun we have learned that walter is very mean to his wife ruth. And that they live a not fun life. Also that its really had for them right now because of there money problems.
Shadyn VanDeBrake period 5th
I think Walter is headstrong. He doen't like to be told he is wrong and he doesn't like the fact that he can't provide for his family. That's really hard for a father. I think he is hiding his true feelings by being mean to the people he loves. That's just his character.
The family doesn't seem to get along on a day to day basis, and they don't understand eachother's motives sometimes, but all in all they love eachother.
-Alex Schaaf
Do Walter and Ruth have a healthy relationship?
in this story the family doesnt really get along at all, they are always making fun of eachother and not supporting what they want to do for a living.
I like walter, him and his sister are always fighting making scenes it is funny.
Zach Brannon
Period 4
In this story the family has a lot of differences. The mom seems to be the bad guy but she is just being a mom. She wants to make sure her son is raised right and her family is able to survive. Walter doesnt want to be the bad guy. He wants to give his family everything they want even if they cant exactly handle it. I dont think walter is disrespectfull to his wife, he is just stressed that he cant give his family everthing and he cant fulfill his business dreams.
Tara's question. I think Walter is so rude to his wife because he doesn't know how much she supports him. He wants her to support him in a different way. Shy supports him by talking to his mom and trying to help him. She really does listen, but he can not see that she does.
What i'm confused about is how Walter treats his sister. He does not support her in any way and tells her she will never succeed. He is very disrespectful to her. He treats her this way and expects his family to support his crazy dreams for the last 11 years. Why does he treat her that way????
I think maybe watler treats his sister so bad is because she is getting somewhere in life she is haveing somewhat success. It could be he is fustrated that he is stuck and not getting anywhere.
I think they should have better attitudes. It seems like life goes better when your attitude is better. But I don't really know I've never been in a situation like this.
I agree with what hbunk92 has said. All families have thier differences no matter what and they all want different things out of life. Thats why the family in Rasin In the Sun argue and fight with eachother a lot, it's because they all want different things from life.
I aslo agree with what Kennedi siad about Walter. He is not really the bad guy, he just wants to give his family everything he can't and he just gets stressed out because of it.
Krysta Church
why doesnt walter like scrambled eggs
i agree with kennedi
The family has a strange relationship with each other in this story. They fight a lot, but they also joke around while they fight. I believe Walter is the biggest reason why the family is so rude to each other. He doesn't respect, or realize how much the women in his life are trying to help him.
I agree with "hbunk92" about the issues of the family. Everyone has family problems, but when you live in that kind of condition with with no optimism in the family, you are sure to fall apart. They all want something more, but they don't work together to achieve it.
The family fights a lot like argue.
i think the family has all different points of view towards life. i think the family needs to just start listening to each other and work with one another.
carinne coesens
pd 5
i agree with brenton the family is living in a hard situation and that is probably why the do fight and argue with each other.
carinne coesens
pd 5
For the family it is really hard on them because all at once they are trying to please eachother and make sure that everyone is happy and satisfied but then on the other half they are struggling to servive.They argue time to time they fight,I think that alot of stress is going on in the family and that's what causes them to fight.
I agree with luis a how the family has a strong connection but then they also are apart from eachother.I think their like that cause their moods change every day based on what happens.
I agree with shelbe! The family seems kind of disfunctional in a way but yet just by reading the story you can tell they love each other!!I don't think there is a perfect family and if there was it might be kind of boring!!
~Shelbie Humphreys Pd.4~
Shelbe is write the son is walter!! so maybe you are thinking of the dad, he is kind of direspectful to his mom and wife!
~Shelbie Humphreys pd.4~
I think Walter is so rude because he feels like he has failed his family by not being able to give them everything they want and more. I also think the family argues a lot because there are so many people in one place they don't have any time for themselves.
-Kandace S.
I think another reason they fight a lot is because each person in the home has a different dream and ways to achieve them. I think they haven't taken the time to try and help each other with their individual dreams.
Kandace Stapley
period 4
I have noticed in the play "A rasin in the sun" that the family does not get along a lot. I wonder if it just because they are living in such tight quarters and don't have a lot of room to really breathe. i do not know if i could take living with my mother when i am 35!!
I believe that walter only thinks about how he is not getting to chase his dreams. He cares to much about money and is mean to his family. If he stop thinking about money he would see that he has a great family and that he shouldn't be so rude to everyone.
crystal chilson 4th period
I agree with most of what people said on this blog that walter is rude and the family fights a lot which is funny but they love each other and thats what keeps them together as a family
crystal chilson 4th period
I think that the family just like every other family gets annoyed with one another. Its hard living under one roof with only a few rooms and so many people. I think the dad is infuriated because he can't provide for his family. The Mother wants to make a good decision for the whole family with the money they get and she wants to try and get a new home. I also think that no matter what they will stick with each other and stand strong by one another because they have a strong bond and love for everyone~!!~
Laticia Romero
My favorite character in this story is the Mother because she takes most control and don't let people walk all over her.
Laticia Romero
I actually agree with most of you that commented. It would probably be super hard for this family to get along in the situation they are in. I have never been in that situation, but some people have, and know what it's like for this family. If you really think about it, if you have siblings or are living with extended relatives, you don't always agree. Also, sometimes, in my family at least, we do kind of joke around when we get mad at each other; just for the dumb reasons we get mad sometimes. I think it's funny how Walter and Beneatha, both adults, still fight as if they were little kids. Although, that's kind of how some fights start all over the world today. For example, you broke my shoe! Now i have to sue you. See how dumb that sounds. However, I have nothing against a cute shoe. It was just an example. I think Walter is afraid of not being able to properly provide for his family. He is scared that all of his chances at success and riches have passed him by; so by now, he's desperate. He still loves his wife, I think, but is afraid that she won't support him, and doesn't love him anymore. Whereas, Ruth, loves Walter more than he could ever know. She is, in secret, trying to show him that she cares. It must be hard for Walter because he promised Ruth all these things, and has failed to fulfill those promises. He is afraid of failing her, their son, and himself once again. Beneatha seems to know who she is and what she is determined to be; a doctor. She knows it would be such a great accomplishment and doesn't want to waste the oppuratunity to fulfill her dream. Mama is trying to keep everyone together and happy. Travis is trying to be just a "normal" kid. I'm sure he doesn't want to be made fun of for the situation his family is in right now. I think he just wants to be accepted and that was why he was so persistent in getting that quarter. (or dime, or whatever it was.) I hope they all will be able to work their dreams out! I am anxious to see how it progresses and ends.
I think that the family in this story dont get along very well. They are always fighting with each other but they love each other at the same time. They just dont have the money and all want different things to help their family.
I agree with laticia, the family are having trouble with each other and are having a rough time dealing with it.
the family fights alot and they live in a small apartmet. they share the bathroom with the other people on that floor. the lettle boy, travis sleeps on the couch in the living room. the parents sleep on a small bed. and walter argues with his whife alot. they argue over the stupidest things. my favorite person is mama. she is so funny and she makes everyone laugh.
i think this storys lesson its trying to teach us is that no matter how much we fight and agrue with our familys out love for them will never change. and we need to be touch andhave faith everything will be ok, and never give up no matter how tough life is and how big our trials.
Do any of you think things will all work out in the end? Or, do you think everything will collapse into a disasterous mess?
I think that this family will work out their problems by the end of the story. It may take a while but I think eventually it will happen.
Well the reason that Walter shows not only his wife but everyone disrespect, is because I think he feels no body wants to help him live out what he feels is his American dream.
Well in the story this family all love each other. But they all have different dreams and thats why there always fighting. But thats what makes the story good. Also if this story showed a perfect family then we wouldn't be as interested.
Why do you think that Rose wants to get rid of her unborn baby?
Unlike many stories we have read in this class I enjoy this story. I like the drama and realism that the story helps you visualize. It seems to me that the family loves each other but has a mean humor problem. Im really excited to find out what the family decides to do now that they got the check of 10,000 dollars. The family is dedicated and they keep strong.
Do Walter and Ruth have a healthy relationship?
-ALEX SCHAAF
4th period
what do you think moma will do with the money?
Why doesn't Ruth support Walter openly? She acts like she doesn't care when he is around but then tries to talk mama she seems to support him 100%.
Has the family been like this forever or has it steadily reached this point as things get harder and harder for them?
The family doesn't have a healthy relationship. There is alot of contention. They get into fights and make fun of eachother. But on the other hand, you can still tell that they love eachother as well. They just have a hard time expressing it because of their living conditions.
Why is it that the family has such a hard time getting along? I would think that they would be closer because they don't have a lot so they would all be striving to earn more...like a team.
well i think that this family has a lot of problems but the main sorce is coming from the husband guy if he would just put on a smile and stop trying to make everyone around him feel as bad as he does then the people in the house might all be a little happier and my favorite charecter is the little boy he has a whole lot of spirrit for his situation
The family fights a lot and i haven't really got into it yet but i hope i do because when i like books i feel like I'm learning more from them and then i have more fun reading.
Kristian Kaae
Period 7th
I can see that Walter is rude to his wife. And their is family issues all the time we can't help it but Walter gets in fights with his family like any other family.
Emily Talbot
Pd7
Their is lots of things in Raisin in the Sun like fighting and other things their are some funny parts and some aren't I agree with everybody that made comment that their are life problems and so on and so forth.
Emily Talbot
pd7
I think that the family gets along they just dont show it in the same way as some family's.
Post a Comment